Shop by Category
- Bandanas & Ties
- Hair Accessories
- Engraved Pet Tags
- Hats & Visors
- Party Collars & Hats
- Wristbands & Ankle Cuffs
- Coats, Jackets & Snowsuits
- Eco-friendly Organic Clothing
- Formal Wear
- Panties/Belly Bands
- Pants & Jumpsuits
- Personalized Clothing
- Regional Clothing
- Skirts & Tutus
- Beds & Blankets
- Collars, Leads & Harnesses
- Custom Dog Clothing
- E-Gift Certificates
- Goodies for Dog Lovers
- Health & Wellness
- Holiday Themed
- Large Dog Department
- Licensed Sportswear
- Natural Food & Treats
- Out & About
- Pet Housewares & Furniture
- Potty Training & More
- Shoes, Socks & Boots
- Spa & Bath
- Sweet Shop Dog Bakery
Have a Question?
Planning the Perfect Puppy Shower
Little yips... tiny licks... and cuddles with warm, soft, furry bundles of joy! Is there anything quite like the excitement and anticipation of a new puppy? Whether the puppy is the very first to join the family or a new addition to the furfamily, the new Mom is estatic!
Why not share in her excitement and fun by throwing a puppy shower? Our Tips for Planning the Perfect Puppy Shower will help you welcome that new puppy with welcome arms and lots of love!
Choosing Your Theme & Your Guests
Puppy Showers are the latest in trends for new dogs. Whether you plan the shower as a surprise or a celebration the new Mom is aware of, there are several ways to prepare for the special event. Choosing your theme is the first place to start. Here are some suggestions that we like:
Decide ahead of time if the shower will include only human friends of the new puppy or their fur companions as well.
If inviting canine guests to a summer shower, outdoors in a enclosed area is the best venue. Not only is outside generally considered territory free, allowing the dogs to mingle on their own, it also allows the dogs freedom to wander in a safe environment.
A new puppy will be extremely excited, so introducing the new puppy to a new pack of dogs should be done with supervision. As guests usually do not arrive in mass, upon arrival of canine guests, allow the dogs to sniff each other out and in a few minutes they will be used to each other.
Dogs are social beings and naturally inquisitive. As long as your canine guests are generally well behaved, things should go fine. However, you many want to consider the size of the canine guests when preparing your guest list. A 200 lb dog and a 4 lb puppy are not always a good mix at a social gathering, especially if you are restricted to an indoor area. However, how well the canine guests are socialized and behaved is far more important than size.
Human Guests Only
If the guests are human only, this is a good opportunity for socializing the puppy. Puppies are generally enthusiastic, allowing and relishing all the attention. Allow your guests to handle the puppy, stick their fingers in his or her mouth, rub behind those ears these are good ways to get the puppy used to being handled as they will be at the groomer's and the vet clinic.
If you decide to host a human only event, you can still acknowledge your guests' four-legged furkids with gift bags for the puppy from his or her soon-to-be new playmates.
Choosing Your Invitations & Party Favors
Your puppy shower invitations are vital to the success of your party, as they will set the tone and atmosphere, as well as communicate your expectations to your guests.
Bloomingtails Dog Boutique carries puppy invitations in several designs, allowing you to accent your puppy shower theme with styles that fit your personal taste.
Puppy party favors not only lend to a fun atmosphere, but are a great way to thank your guests for welcoming the new puppy. You can purchase several cute and inexpensive dog items for treat bags for canine guests.
- One idea is using dog cookie cutters (found at baking supply stores) to create dog treats.
- For a fun twist, include the recipe in the treat bag so your human guest can make the dog treat again.
- With tons of dog treat recipes on the internet, you can even make a variety of treats with a different one in each gift bag.
Your party favors do not have to be edible. You can purchase tennis balls or other small dog toys as well. Consider packaging your favors in inexpensive gift bags, color coordinated to your color scheme and theme. Another alternative is Chinese take out boxes, which can be decorated with dog stickers.
Choosing Your Food & Games
Your puppy shower menu can range from elaborate to simple!
- For an afternoon event, punch, dog-bone-shaped cookies, and finger foods are appropriate. (Don't forget treats for the dogs!)
- Chex Mix can be renamed Puppy Chow.
- Corned beef hash casseroles reminds us of wet dog food.
- There is the obvious barbecue with hot dogs, of course.
- Cocktail hot dogs can be appetizers. Consider serving other hors d'oeuvres as well.
Games will lend excitement to your puppy shower, for your human and canine guests. You should include at least one dog related game. With a little tweaking, the standard shower games can become puppy shower games.
- Bingo can become puppy bingo by purchasing a bone shaped paper punch and using them for bingo chips.
- Word puzzle games are easy: make a list of dog related words, scramble the letters, and print them up for a dog shower game.
- Pin the Tail on the Dog is another alternative.
- A memory game could easily be done by placing 15-20 dog items on a tray, giving guests 30 seconds to view it, and then seeing how many they can remember.
- If dogs are included in the celebration, fetch or dog races could be held, with the fastest dog winning.
Choosing Gifts & Presents
The possibilities are endless for puppy shower gift giving! New puppies require a lot of time and attention, plus lots of new things you may not think of!
Puppies have a tendency to chew anything in sight, particularly furniture, when no one is paying attention. Toys designed to give new puppies a chewing alternative are the perfect gift, one that the new Mom will greatly appreciate.
- We strongly recommend avoiding latex vinyl toys. The dangers of toys made in China for human children has been in the news but did you know those same materials are also used for producing pet toys?
- The Whole Dog Journal recommends avoiding all vinyl toys and has recommended the Orb Toys from Planet Dog as the safest collection of dog toys, excellent for chewers.
- Other suggested toys include fleece or fabric toys.
If a toy is not the direction you really want to go for your puppy shower gift, why not give a new Puppy Bed & Blanket Set? You might also consider natural pet treats, such as Whole Life Pet Treats, which are made in the USA with human grade ingredients, 100% pure meat, and no fillers or preservatives. Another great gift that Bloomingtails Boutique customers rave about is a Puppy Sling, custom made in your choice of fabrics.
Since we do not recommend dog collars for small dogs due to trachea issues, which is common in toy breeds, we suggest harnesses for walking the new puppy. There are many different styles of Harnesses & Matching Leads that would be a greatly appreciated by the new puppy parents.
Tee or Tank Shirts for a Boy or Dresses for Girls are also a good gift choice. Getting a new puppy used to wearing clothes should be started at an early age! Bloomingtails Dog Boutique has lots of adorable choices for the newest addition to the fur family!
Still unsure of what to purchase for your gift? If the new puppy parents are aware of the upcoming puppy shower, Bloomingtails has a Gift Registry where they can register their wish list for their new, soon-to-be Pampered Pooch!
:: Congratulations to the new puppy parents! ::
:: May your puppy shower be as wonderful as it should be! ::
:: May your puppy shower be as wonderful as it should be! ::